On 27/08/2008, norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
>   There, the girls were encouraged to sit at the
>  keyboard and, those that did, soon realised that nothing drastic or
>  terminal was going to happen.
>
>  This was about 25 years ago and bears no comparison with schools today
>  but I wonder how much the mothers of today are still influenced by those
>  experiences when they were at school.

Your points sound about right from my experience too. Except I
remember in my school being actively encouraged to study biology or
sociology, but discouraged from computing (and I only changed away
from those options due to a short conversation with someone else).

I've no doubt that the children of 25 years ago are now going on to
influence their kids or whole classes of kids if they've become
teachers themselves. So, we get another generation of girls put off
from using computers.

I fully believe that the reason many women aren't interested in
computers is mainly because of social upbringing. For example, in
India (and some other asian countries) there are more equal numbers of
men and women working in programming). It wasn't so long ago that
almost all students studying to become doctors were male, now there
are more females. So, I believe things can be changed, just don't ask
me how ;)