Robert McWilliam wrote:
<snip>
> ...I've had a quick look for how to get more debug output from
> firefox and it looks like it needs recompiling firefox and knowing
> enough about the internals to tell it what you want to know.

Robert >>> It's very good of you to research this.  I think the option
of getting more debug output exceeds my skill (and perhaps my
enthusiasm, too!), especially as...

<snip>
> The sqlite problem with the db being on a network share is due to
> problems locking the db file rather than permissions, and the sqlite
> docs say that locking is broken or not implemented in most NFS
> implementations...

I hadn't come across this, and it's very useful to know.  Thanks for the
information.

> ...but it doesn't say which NFS implementations do or don't work so
> it might be worth a try.

So I'll take your advice about this and give it a go with nfs.  If that
doesn't work, I think I'll probably adopt the solution of running FF3
from a profile on a jump drive, which has the incidental advantage of
ensuring that you can't try to run two instances of FF3 using the same
network profile simultaneously, as a jump drive does for the profile
what the 'way key' does for single track working on the railway - only
the user that's got the key can proceed.

I probably won't try nfs immediately, as I'll have a bit of setting up
to do first.  But I'll report the outcome here in due course, for anyone
who may be interested.

Many thanks for the advice and assistance.

Mac