Javad Ayaz wrote:
> now that you understand my setup...would an analogue tv card be better
> than a digital one or vice versa?

Well it depends exactly what you want to do.

To give you an idea... I have put a TV card in my kids PC after their TV
blew up.  The original idea was to install MythTV and use a Freeview TV
card so they could record their favourite programmes.  However the
actual Freeview card would only pick up a handful of channels.  So in
the end I just put in an analogue TV card (Pinnacle PCI PC TV Card) and
plugged in a Freeview box.  I decided to just use TV Time to view the
output from the Freeview box and their games consoles on the monitor.

So I'd say if you want to just watch TV on the PC, a basic analogue card
will probably do the job.  Just get a SCART to Phono cable so you can
plug the Virgin box into the PC.  You'll also probably need something
for audio (some boxes have stereo photo outputs on the back, others
don't so you'll need a 3.5mm to 2 x Photo cable and optionally a dual
phono to phono coupler if you don't have audio output on the box, so you
can connect the audio from the phonos on the SCART cable to the line in
on your PC sound card).  I haven't had a Virgin Media box in a while so
I can't remember what outputs it has.  Another alternative if your box
supports it is to use an S-Video cable from the Virgin box to the PC.
That'll give a better quality picture.

Or.... you could get a Freeview card and use MythTV.  That way MythTV
will be able to record the Freeview channels to your hard drive.  With
multiple Freeview sticks/cards you'll be able to record more than one
channel, or watch one channel while recording another but you'll need an
aerial connection as a minimum, and possibly depending on your setup, a
Freeview aerial on the roof (you may be lucky and get away without this).

Rob