Colin McCarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:52 PM, norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> After months of trying I have finally got my little brother, who is in
>> his seventies, to join the 21st century and he has installed Ubuntu 8.04
>> (no newfangled stuff like 8.10 for him) along with his XP. Now, big
>> brother is inundated with questions most of which, fortunately, I can
>> answer. However, now I am stumped, he wants to listen to BBC radio on
>> the BBC website, something I do not do. I have tried Google but am
>> mightily confused so could some kind person suggest somethings he might
>> try, please.
>>
>> Norman
>>

> Hi Norman.
> I have just listened to Radio 2 successfully online with FireFox 3 on Ubuntu
> 8.10. (It also worked on 8.04).
> I enjoy listening to Malcolm Laycocks show on a Sunday night.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f941q
> I like the old time music, but I guess to you and your brother it's just
> 'music' :-) hehehehe
>
> All I can think of that you need to listen to it is Flash, which you can get
> here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

That might well work, however, if it does not do the trick, keep us
informed?
I listen to the bbc regularly so I can look up my various notes if
necessary.

It is possible that w32 codecs are in the story and I note I use
mplayer I think as a plugin for mozilla firefox too because bbc audio
uses realmedia (as in RealPlayer) streams.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391