On 14/11/2008, Rob Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Okay so all this talk of Windows free laptops got me thinking about
> plumping for a cheapo netbook to tide me over until next year when I can
> afford something a bit more powerful.

Having played with an MSI Wind that my dad bought (rebadged by PC
World as the Advent 4211) I'd thoroughly recommend you look at that,
too.

10" screen
Decent sized UK keyboard with function keys
120GB SATA hard drive
Intel Atom CPU
2 hours battery life (MSI long-life batteries available for another 60 quid)
No CD/DVD drive - but lots of USB ports for an external drive
Comes with a disposable copy of MS Windows XP

GBP280 or free with a 2-year Vodafone mobile broadband contract. The
Voda dongle reportedly works under Ubuntu (but you should check!).

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?page=Product&sku=158734

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS install instructions ("pretty straightforward"):
http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron

--
Andrew Oakley [EMAIL PROTECTED]