On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 01:52:42PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> I'm currently running an Athlon X2 3800+ and that seems pretty quick
> (I did have a Phenom X4 9600 but it died over the weekend and the
> Athlon X2 was the only thing I had which could chuck in the board).  I
> could also recommend the Pentium Dual Core chips as they're also
> pretty quick (I had one before upgrading to the Phenom, it's now
> sitting in my wife's PC).

I've not really found a massive multi-core chip to be needed on a modern
Linux desktop, recently I've moved over to an Atom processor on my desktop,
this board:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147222

Works beautifully under Ubuntu and Debian for me and the whole system runs
with an 80W power supply, rather than the hundreds of Watts these big rig
machines use.

--
Gav Ford
[EMAIL PROTECTED]