> Yep, components are so cheap now, and eBuyer.com are offering free
> delivery when you spend over £50 (you have to choose the 5 working day
> delivery option but usually the order is delivered within 2 or 3 days
> anyway!).
>
> You'd possibly find though that newer motherboards generally now only
> have one IDE connector on board so you'd probably be worth picking up
> a Serial ATA hard disk and DVD-Writer unless you already want to
> connect existing drives to one IDE channel (but this will limit you to
> the two devices).
>
> I'd say you could pick up a Celeron Dual Core E1200 for about £35, a
> suitable motherboard for another £40 (I'd avoid Foxconn though), 1GB
> of DDR2 memory (Kingston memory is about £15 for a 1GB kit).  A case
> will cost about £15 with a cheapo power supply although you may want
> to consider something a bit better (I would recommend the Trust power
> supply at £17).
>
> Here's what I'd go for if I was building a cheap system...
>
> Processor - http://tinyurl.com/5uzldg - £34.25
> Motherboard - http://tinyurl.com/63w69f - £37.94
> Memory - http://tinyurl.com/5626so - £14.68
> Power Supply - http://tinyurl.com/64kgl4 - £17.36
> Case - http://tinyurl.com/5ras3u - £12.71
> DVD writer - http://tinyurl.com/58e5zl - £13.69
> 250GB Hard Drive - http://tinyurl.com/49lree - £29.35 (turns out 250GB
> is about £5 more than an 80GB drive!)
> Extra SATA cable for DVD writer - http://tinyurl.com/6bdbo6 - £2.50
>
> So for under £165 you'll have pretty much a new PC which will keep you
> going for maybe another 8 years or so.
>
> You could probably get a dual core Athlon X2 system for around the
> same sort of price too if you'd rather go for an AMD based system over
> an Intel one.
>
> Rob

I sold my EEE PC about 10 months ago and for (almost) the same money built
a very respectable rig with bits from ebuyer. My spec was:

Decent Abit mainboard
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
2GB Corsair standard stuff
2 x 250GB Samsung SATA HDD's (in Linux software MD RAID 0, it rocks)
dual layer DVD-+RW
19" wide HannsG monitor
Good quality case from eBay with decent PSU

It was a grand total of about £300 but I had to make sure I got good
components. Most important is the PSU as Rob says. I've always liked Abit
motherboards. Foxconn are actually pretty good from my experience. They
used to make Intel's own brand boards, not sure if they still do.

The disk speed makes this computer feel very fast.