On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 12:36 +0000, keith wrote:
> The machine I am writing this on has been playing up for a long, long time
> and each time I switch on I wait in trepidation to see whether or not it will
> actually boot up.  Usually it does but I have to accept that it is coming to
> the end of its life.
>
> I have a Windows XP machine, which I've never actually opened up.   I propose
> to remove the master drive from the Linux machine on which Ubuntu is
> installed and insert it into the Windows one.  It will then become the slave
> drive.
>
> What I would like to know is how to create a new MBR on the Windows machine
> as I shall wish it to boot up into Ubuntu for 95% of the time.
>
> Any advice/assistance will be gratefully accepted.
>
> Keith.

Keith if your using your ubuntu on the machine 95% of the time I would
set the ubuntu hd as the master.

If you take a look at /boot/grub/menu.lst I believe there is an example
for a windows boot option.

You can copy it and modify where appropriate.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk