Dave Morley wrote:
On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 17:04 +0000, Robert Longstaff wrote:
I wondered if that was a good deal, also I wondered how easy it would be to install Ubuntu on it. As it doesnt have a dvd/cd player, would Ubuntu work on it, and how would I install it?
I have an Aspire One 150 and I'm very satisfied with it. I immediately
wiped out Linpus and put generic Ubuntu Intrepid on it. After only
a small amount of tweaking (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
is invaluable), nearly everything works perfectly.

The only bit that doesn't are the card slots for certain types of
HD card, though I consider that minor. Otherwise the screen, wifi
and webcam are all fine.

It's not brilliantly fast but not bad for a netbook. Admittedly, an
extra 512Mb would be good but I gather it's something of a nightmare
to install it - apparently you have to essentially dismantle the
entire machine to do so!

The default battery only gives about 2h time, so I've ordered a larger
one which should give up to 6h.

Finally, to install ubuntu, use the UNetbootin utlity
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNetbootin) to transfer the ISO onto a
pen drive and boot from USB. Worked fine for me.

Anything else, just ask!

Regards,

Robert.

You do have to dismantle it but it's not that hard as long as you take
your time and are methodical.  It's a really nice machine to dismantle
see the youtube videos
My cousin has an Acer Aspire One and it worked fine with Ubuntu 8.10(standard not one built for web books), picked up the wireless card with a little bit of playing about but 3g connection works fine out of the box. Very impressed by it.

Regards,
Daniel