My head is spinning. I shall let the machine have a rest (and also my
brain). We can maybe discuss what you all think is really the best thing
long-term. It is a lovely, lovely machine. I need to power it down now
anyway, because I took a little tip from the Compal manual, which is
this: after you first charge up the rechargeable battery, it says, you
should run it right down again, once, and thereafter you can use it
normally. This is supposed to prolong the battery life, and so this is
what I have been doing, and it will run down in twenty minutes (est.)
anyway. My head really is spinning. Everybody has all these great ideas,
but they all point in different directions... but in some ways, I am
sort of beginning to enjoy this -- just as long as this bashed-up little
Sony doesn't pack up on me. Computers don't much like this flat, it's
too damp. I'm saving all these emails to a separate hard disc drive, in
case the Sony goes down on me. Thanks to all.

Rowan