On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Jason Liquorish <ja...@dropshock.com> wrote:
> This is exactly what I got told for my HP laptop, and when I rang MS I
> got told it was HPs problem. Unless you have the time and patients to
> take this as far as possible and you document you removing XP etc. then
> unfortunately I doubt you are going to get far.

Do you need to provide a stethascope or something to prove you've
patients, or what? ;-)

Seriously, I wouldn't really bother to try to get a refund for OEM
Windows as (generally) laptops or whatever with Windows installed
seldom cost much more than those without...  I would imagine that any
"refund" would be minimal, and there's probably better things to do
with your time.

PCs have virtually become disposable entities these days.  I have a
friend who runs a PC repair shop and he's struggling because you can
buy a new base unit for about £150 whereas putting in a new
motherboard will probably cost £100 once you factor in labour -- it
simply isn't worth repairing the things.   When you've paid £1,000 for
a PC it's worth it, if you've only paid £200 it just ain't.

Deflation in the PC market is alarming.   Laptops at £250 in Tesco,
what's that about?

Sean