2009/3/21 Sean Miller <s...@seanmiller.net>:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/3/21 ged byrom <ged.by...@ntlworld.com>:
>>> Is there any special reason for naming this release after a mythical
>>> beastie rather than a real beastie ?
>>
>> Damned if I know.
>>
>>> Are we likely to see the haggis release or the even rarer mirk in the
>>> future ?
>>
>> "H" was the Hoary Hedgehog.
>
> And the Hardy Heron...

Oh that's right! I'd forgotten there'd been 2 Hs.

So it went:

4.10 Warty Warthog - first release
5.04 Hoary Hedgehog
5.10 Breezy Badger * Had to look this up, it's so long ago now...
6.06 (LTS) Dapper Drake
6.10 Edgy Eft
7.04 Feisty Fawn
7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
8.04 (LTS) Hardy Heron
8.10 Intrepid Ibex
9.04 Jaunty Jackalope
& 9.10 will be Karmic Koala

I wonder if Linux will still be a mainstream OS in 2017 when they run
out of letters? Will Ubuntu still be significant? It's on its way to
being the world's default Linux desktop, but desktops will have
changed a lot by then, maybe gone away.

Maybe Linux will be the mainstream OS by then. Or have been superseded
by something more modern and modular than a honking great monolithic
UNIX kernel with a design from the 1970s. Something like some
derivative of Plan 9 or Haiku or the GNU HURD. (Hey, it could happen.
I still think there's mileage in the microkernel idea, especially on
multicore PCs, which soon they all will be.)

The PCs of the late teens will be unrecognisable - either big servers
with hundreds of cores or svelte battery-powered things with terabytes
of nonvolatile storage and dozens of assymetric cores for both
low-power usage on batteries and high-performance on mains power,
quite possibly wireless broadcast power.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508