doug livesey wrote:
> > There is not need to upgrade at the moment unless you want to.
>
> There's the thing, though -- I've been hearing about how much more
> fast & stable Jaunty is, and surely there's reason enough there to
> want to upgrade!

I'd say it's faster on my notebook but more stable?  I'd say it's about
the same for stability.
> > I have a Macbook 3.1 and I'm nearly about to press the upgrade
> button (I'm upgrading a test PC to see how it affects sound and Samba
> in particular). I have it dual booting with leopard so I'm perhaps in
> a better position if it goes wrong. I'll report back how it goes.
>
> Excellent news! I look forwards to hearing about it, as I currently
> dual-boot Ibex with OSX (although I only use that for iTunes, now).
> I'll have make my upgrade a weekend project, although the next weekend
> with nothing else scheduled is probably at the end of Ibex's support time!
> Although if you report all went well, maybe I'll reshuffle my
> caldendar to follow suit.
I guess if it all goes wrong technically you should still be able to
boot from a live CD and copy anything important off onto a USB stick/USB
hard drive etc although if you have any absolutely vital data I'd back
this up to be safe (I mean it's important to keep backups anyway,
hardware can and does fail).
> Aren't I a coward? ;)
Not really, I think most people will probably be running Ubuntu on
standard PC hardware, although technically a Mac now is pretty much just
a fancy more expensive PC there's always the risk it might have some
quirk that isn't supported.

Rob