Hey guys,

I share your frustration with the ATI cards and Linux. I converted my
friends machine over recently to running Ubuntu Jaunty believing that the
ATI drivers had improved and would be nearly on par with the nVidia ones.
And I learned the hard way that that was not the case... we tried to get
World of Warcraft running in Wine and all we managed to get was graphical
distortion.

Best option really is if you are going to buying a machine avoid ATI like
the plague and go for an nVidia card. It may be worth you guys with desktop
machines buying a cheap nVidia card to save you pulling all your hair out
with the ATI drivers. Unfortunately this is not an option for most laptop
owners (there are some laptops you can change the card in
http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html check to see if yours is on the list).

Anyway hope this helps,

Alan Jenkins