On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Seif Attar wrote:
> > I have a laptop with an ATI 200m xpress video card, I tried upgrading to
> > Jaunty, but before the upgrade I got a message the my hardware will not
> > work on Jaunty (I had mixed feelings of disappointment and happiness
> > that it actually warned me!), so the fglrx drivers won't work, but how
> > will this affect me? i don't care much about 3d stuff, so I am willing
> > to give that up, but will my resolution be correct? and what about XV
> > video? has anyone here had any experience with this?
> >
> > I was shocked that ATI dropped support for this card, as I don't
> > consider my laptop old (well yeah, I bought it 3 years ago, but i still
> > think of it as new and up to spec :)
> >
> > Peace,
> > Seif
> >

>  From what I understand, it is supported at least for 2D graphics so
> you'll still be able to use the machine and it should display at the
> correct resolution but you won't be able to use anything like Compiz so
> you won't get fancy effects or wobbly windows.
>
> I do agree that it's not very good of ATI/AMD to leave their customers
> in the lurch like this.  I have a couple of ATI graphics cards that
> luckily are still supported (just) by the fglrx drivers or by the open
> source drivers but I would certainly give it some more thought when
> choosing another card.  I know NVidia aren't that great for support
> (closed source drivers etc) but on the other hand they still do have
> drivers which support back to the TNT2 and Geforce 256 cards (I have a
> couple of these kicking around still, and even an old Voodoo 4).
>
> I personally think that AMD should at least support their older cards
> (I'm not expecting all the latest features, just basic support) until
> the community can get the open source drivers up to scratch, although I
> guess their argument is that they have released the documentation to the
> community to assist in writing the drivers (which NVidia on the other
> hand haven't done).
>
> Rob

I'm using an ATI Radeon X1200 which is supported under the Open Source
driver. 3D acceleration exists but is a bit rubbish. That said however,
basic compiz effects do work reasonably well.

I believe your card (like mine) is no longer supported by the proprietary
fglrx drivers. I'm not sure if it is supported by the Open Source ATI
drivers, but you pop in a copy of Jaunty and find out ;-)

Chris