I have a system running a fresh install of 8.04, I haven't messed with it
much but it doesn't seem to be having the same problem. Even so I've
changed the interval to 30 seconds. Is that too much ?
The system running 9.04 is in for a plug pulling session I think. I'll
reinstall off the cd. I uninstalled gnome-system-manager and installed
xosview which is a system monitor. The cpu use only hits about 50% now
thanks to Xorg. But it is struggling to start up and I don't think I'll be
able to cure it. Not clever enough.
Thanks to Farran and Kevin for suggestions.
Ged