Sean Miller wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Farran Lee <fazzy.bab...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> sorry, an extra bit I forgot to mention - it is a BT DSL modem, using
>> broadband, but the computer DIALS UP to the connection.
>
> It doesn't actually.
>
> It's just that Windows displays it as a Dial Up Networking Connection.
>
> Doesn't dial up at all -- it's ADSL.

It's just semantics of labelling really.  In Windows, you'd create a DUN
connection where you have to manually sign in using a connected physical
modem or virtual device (e.g. VPN).  The only real difference between
dialup and broadband (the speed aside) is that with the type of ADSL
most common in the UK, the line is always "up" (ATM session created)
when the modem is connected and on, both still have to auth using PPP to
get an IP.

I'd agree with Matt Jones, buy a wireless ADSL2+ router/switch and plug
the machines in using Ethernet cables or WiFi as appropriate - a decent
Netgear or Zyxel can be gotten at reasonable prices from scan.co.uk,
ebuyer.com, broadbandbuyer.co.uk et al.  Makes it easier to use multiple
machines/devices (desktops, laptops, wifi-enabled phones, etc), and an
ADSL2+ router means you can still use it with ADSL1 providers like BT,
and migrate to ADSL2+ providers who use the BT Wholesale/BT 21CN
platform without having to find new hardware.

-n