Sean Miller wrote:
> I don't understand why you would have had know anything about
> partitioning, John - the Ubuntu installer will do that for you.
>
> You just tell it how much space you want to allocate to Ubuntu and it
> "steals" it out of the free space on the existing partition.
>
> I am just a subscriber to the "keep it simple" way of thinking, and
> adding an extra layer of complication (as Wubi does) seems to have no
> great advantage.
>
> Don't get me wrong!  The Wubi developers can probably feel very
> pleased with themselves that they've done it, it's an achievement, but
> quite why they bothered I don't know.  They could have been creating
> something that actually had a use, other than to install the same
> Ubuntu in a different place.
>
> I have tried Wubi about 4 times on this laptop and others and every
> time it's been an absolute disaster, so I guess I'm jaded.  Some
> systems clearly like it and others do not.
>
> Sean

I had a disaster on this machine with the partition, and the update just
before 9.04. It just crashed everytime I got to the log on page. I tried
to install the 9.04 over the top, and instead of it doing that, I ended
up with 3 partitions. I had to reformat the hard drive in the end. I'm
running Wubi on two machines now, plus the to from other people and its
running really smoothly. The one I just installed that started this
thread, is even better than my own machines, so I have different
experience.

I wish I could run it via a partition, I am finding it really
frustrating, but I just am not experienced enough.

John.