PC World staff are sometimes the worst, they often do not have a clue
about anything beyond the written tech specs on the packaging of anything.

If you want to know about a product, if it works with linux, you really
have to google it first before going to the shop, as salespeople are
generally not tech-savvy, they are just hired to sell rather than
educate or inform.

Which is a real shame, as shops would sell a LOT more if their staff
actually knew something about the products, like they used to many years
ago. But today they just hire monkeys and pay them peanuts, rather than
train staff (which costs money) and get more sales (which would pay for
the staff training), but managers these days are probably too
short-sighted and stupid to actually know how to make money.

I digress here, but a good example of poor staff/management was told to
me by a friend who tried to eat in a restaurant recently. It was not a
posh restaurant, just a sort of average place but not a dirt cheap one
either. He sat down and was looking at the menu, then a waitress came
over and told him to leave as he was wearing tracksuit trousers. He got
up without a fuss and on his way to the exit looked for a sign that
might have mentioned what attire a person should have to eat there.

Finding no sign, he asked to see the manager, who just explained that he
could not eat there because of the way he was dressed, and the
restaurant had a legal right to throw him out. He said they should have
a sign, but the manager did not care to listen.

There is a recession on, but too many managers/staff cannot see that
they need customers and so act in a very bizarre self-defeating way. The
restaurant was otherwise empty, and my friend left to eat elsewhere.

It is as if these people want to fail, they want to lose their jobs and
see their employer fail and go bankrupt, and themselves become poor. It
is no wonder that the restaurant my friend visited was empty, the staff
were probably desperate not to do any work and just keep people out,
profits down, and out of a job with the restaurant out of business. The
food was probably rubbish too, as I expect the chef was too lazy to cook.

I wonder if the salesman at the John Lewis store mentioned in the
letter, and staff in other computer shops, think the same way.

David King