Graham Smith wrote:
<snip>
> I have just had a fresh install using 09.04 (as no one seemed able to
> help me fix my network problem on 8.1, so a fresh install was my last
> resort) so this would seem a good time to set up a separate home
> partition.

For future reference, the best time for setting up a /home partition is
*during* a fresh install.  Just use the 'manual' option during the
partitioning process, early on in the install sequence, to set up, for
example, /root, swap, /home  (or whatever arrangement you're going to
use - www.psychocats.net has a discussion of options for partitioning)

> Is this a good tutorial to follow?
> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome  or can anyone suggest a
>  better one.

If you're now going to resize/create/move with existing partitions, the
tutorial looks OK, and I've always found psychocats clear and helpful.

You might want to check some others to get clear about the essentials.
For example (but there are lots if you google):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/

HTH

mac