I was asked some little time ago to report on how my efforts to set up
the Bamboo tablet progressed. As mentioned in an earlier post, I changed
my operating system from 9.04 to 8.04 primarily because I am not capable
of using HAL. With a great deal of help from a non-Ubuntu user, the
Bamboo, as far as I can tell, is fully operative with the stylus, all
the buttons and the circle working. For what I do, using Gimp, I have
shift and ctrl on separate buttons and the circle gives zoom. One button
on the stylus works as right click on a mouse and the other grabs the
image and moves it around within the window. At the moment, one of the
buttons on the tablet works as left click and the other as right click.
I hope to change at least one of these to Gimp's Edit delete.

What I am trying to achieve is to be able to use the tablet most of the
time when working with Gimp, leaving the keyboard mainly for the
entering of text. Finally, I must add that I believe the effort has been
well worth while.

Norman