On 11/07/09 22:55, David King wrote:
<snip />
> And when I try to access the Ubuntu network share via Network in
> Nautilus, which I should be able to do as it is the PC I am accessing it
> from, I get an error saying "Unable to mount location. Failed to
> retrieve share list from server."
>
> So how do I get networking/filesharing working in Ubuntu?

Why use Samba for Linux file sharing?

Install sshd on both machines:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

In your file browser (The Places menu), select "connect to server"

Under service type select "ssh".

In the server box enter the ip address of the machine you want to
connect to.

The Folder you *can* set if you wish. Perhaps something like
/home/myhome_dir, or leave it at the default and you will be connected
to the root of the filesystem "/".

Click the Add Bookmark box and give it a sensible name and click on connect.

Decide on how you want to save the password etc when asked. and it is done.

You might also like to look at sshfs. This allows you mount file systems
over ssh, you can include the command in your /etc/fstab file so that it
will be automatically mounted on boot up, or even create a short script
that gets run when you login for example...

There are lots of ways to do networking/filesharing. You just have to
find one that suits you.

Samba generally works for me (I have one windows PC left in our
network), but have you configured the samba server properly? The
configuration is usually kept in /etc/samba/smb.conf

HTH

Alan