>You've had issues with keyboards?   Never heard of that one before...
> what type of keyboard?  And what was the issue?

The machine I set up for someone else, I set up using my preferred layout
(Dvorák), and then set it to normal ASCII, but it keeps reverting. No big
deal, but annoying, especially to a novice.

> Are you using proprietary Flash plug-in or the open one?  Might be
> worth trying the other...

I'll look into that, cheers.

> Ah, but if more people started using Linux then Apple might consider
> it a good idea to port their software... it's a supply & demand
> thing...  ;-)

Yeah, but if you're setting up a system for someone who trusts you to do the
best job you can for them, until that supply & demand thing is settled, is
it really ethical to stick them with being a statistical martyr to the
cause? The iPhone requirement came after I'd set the system up, but still
something like that should perhaps have been anticipated.

> And have you proven iTunes doesn't work?

I've looked at a fair few places to get iTunes working on Ubuntu, and all of
the ones I saw seem to say it won't (under WINE or anything else). I'll look
at the link you've provided (cheers again), but I'm not holding out much
hope (from past experience), and even less for getting it working to update
an iPhone. As for *proving* it can't work, I'm afraid I'm not nearly enough
of an expert to begin to exhaustively set about that task! Besides, you
can't prove a negative, you can only *dis*prove it. ;)

> But I'd probably suggest Linux to those people over OS-X, because
> their Windows mates might be able to figure out how to use Linux as it
> is similar (and the majority of the key combinations (eg.
> ctrl-alt-delete)) are the same whereas OS-X has a completely different
> methodology altogether.

I wouldn't have expected that! I must admit that I'm very fond of OSX & the
way it works, so much so that I can bear to work in it from time to time
when I can't in linux. And it was OSX (being built on Darwin) that got me
into trying out linux.
For a newb, as well, my experience has been that OSX is *miles* more
intuitive than any other OS, so that people don't really *need* their mates
to come around -- it just does what they expect intuitively --
human-oriented software!
Again, I must declaim that my experience of seeing newbs on various systems
is limited to my own trials & observing a few others, but in that
experience, OSX definately seems to be the one that people can take to with
most confidence.
So I guess I'm the opposite! ;) I'd recommend OSX to any 'average' user with
a budget, Ubuntu to anyone with any technical bent, and Windoze to anyone
with little cash who just wanted basic stuff (web, video, audio, wireless)
to work & didn't know how to get it to if it didn't.
Although maybe I'd recuse myself before that last recommendation. ;)
Cheers for the considered response,
   Doug.

PS -- the system I setup was for someone who lives in a different country,
just in case anyone's thinking that maybe I should just get 'round there &
fix it. :)