William Anderson wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Just wait. October will be even more fun as people try to upgrade from
>> vista to 7.  I've already told a few it's going to cost them more than the
>> usual couple of pints to sort the mess out.
>>

> From what I've heard, upgrading from Vista to 7 RC is pretty straight
> forward ...
>
> -n

But Windows 7 RC isn't a retail release. In Europe Windows 7 E won't
have an upgrade option... - http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3174

To quote the blog...

"As my blogging colleague Ed Bott notes, it’s a case of good news and
bad news for users in Europe <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1096>. The
good: European customers will be able to buy a full retail version of
Windows 7 E at the same price as the usually cheaper upgrade version, at
least for the rest of this year. (*The fine print: “Upgrade price
available for full editions of retail packaged product until at least
Dec. 31, 2009.”*) The bad: There will be no upgrade version for Windows
7 E users, and they will have to do a clean install in order to put
Windows 7 E on their systems.

The reasoning for no Windows 7 E upgrade seems to be that there isn’t an
equivalent version of Vista — with Internet Explorer removed — from
which European users could/should upgrade."

So it's good that you're getting a retail version at upgrade prices
(which means you'll hopefully be able to transfer the license from one
machine to another) but you'll have to do a clean install.

That's not to say that someone might work out how to do an upgrade, or
release a utility to make reinstalling easier.

Rob