2009/7/18 Tony Harrison <t...@mitsy.co.uk>:
> Thanks for that, it was the pci=noacpi I had forgot to do. Xubuntu then
> failed while booting anyway, something about X terminal I think it was? But
> I made a new usb stick with ubuntu server on which installed but it would
> only give me the option to install it to the usb stick rather than the HDD.
> Do I need to use a CD-rom drive to install to the HDD?

That's also covered on the same wiki page :)

The driver for the hard drive controller isn't in the kernel that you
get with an ubuntu install. I filed a bug but it's not been fixed.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/318805 is
the bug report.
I have put the module needed:-

http://popey.com/~alan/viglen/2.6.27-7-generic_pata_cs5535.ko   for
2.6.27 (for Ubuntu 8.10)
http://popey.com/~alan/viglen/2.6.28-11-generic_pata_cs5535.ko  for
2.6.28 (for Ubuntu 9.04)

Grab the one for the version of Ubuntu you're installing and rename it
to pata_cs5535.ko.

What I had to do was boot the USB stick, then (before the partitioning
section, but after the network comes up) switch to a terminal (ALT+F4)
and the scp from another machine over the network, then modprobe it to
load it into memory, then switch back to the installer (ALT+F1) and
continue.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Cheers,
Al.