I agree. Microsoft is a threat because of their monoply. They are very
good at locking-in users, however they are starting to feel threatened
by Linux and the negativity they received after the release of Vista.
Hence the 'release party' move (as well as various open source
initiatives) to improve their product marketing by building a grass
roots community.

I also see Apple as a challenge from a usability/design point of view,
but not so much from a business aspect, because they don't have so
many users (even though they're better than MS when it comes to
creating lock-in).

Tim, I'd ignore Microsoft's release party idea completely. Any mention
of it, just brings them back into public consciousness, when they
should be becoming irrelevent. Much better to just talk about the
awesome Ubuntu parties instead!