On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM, John Davis <davi...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> This is not a linux question as such but I know someone will know the
> answer!
>
> My computers hard drive is full. I have finally persuaded the Missus to have
> a go at Ubuntu. I would like to buy a 500 gig SATA hard drive Partition it
> half for Wind**s and Ubuntu as the main.
>
> I know I have to get an IDE to SATA adapter. My question is; does my 2 dvd
> drives need to be connected to this adapter or do they connect to the
> motherboard as normal ? Can I also use one SATA hard drive with adapter and
> a normal IDE hard drive connected to the mother board ? In order to empty
> the hard drive already fitted by dragging and dropping?
>
> The pc is 6 years old and a Hewlett Packard.
> Any tips welcome
>
> John
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

You will need a PCI SATA card, they are <£10 on ebay and generally
have 2 SATA ports on the cheaper ones. I have one with a VIA chipset
and it works fine with all flavours of linux I have tried with it.
Leave the other drives as they are, put the SATA PCI card in and
connect the drive data cable to it.  You will probably need an adaptor
cable for the drive power as the newer SATA drives don't use a molex
connector but a slimmer edge connector. The adaptor should only be a
couple of quid.