On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 19:18:56 +0100, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Matt Jones wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM, John Davis <davi...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> This is not a linux question as such but I know someone will know the
>>> answer!
>>>
>>> My computers hard drive is full. I have finally persuaded the Missus
>>> to have
>>> a go at Ubuntu. I would like to buy a 500 gig SATA hard drive
>>> Partition it
>>> half for Wind**s and Ubuntu as the main.
>>>
>>> I know I have to get an IDE to SATA adapter. My question is; does my 2
>>> dvd
>>> drives need to be connected to this adapter or do they connect to the
>>> motherboard as normal ? Can I also use one SATA hard drive with
>>> adapter and
>>> a normal IDE hard drive connected to the mother board ? In order to
>>> empty
>>> the hard drive already fitted by dragging and dropping?
>>>
>>> The pc is 6 years old and a Hewlett Packard.
>>> Any tips welcome
>>>
>>> John
>>> --
>>> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
>>>

>> You will need a PCI SATA card, they are <£10 on ebay and generally
>> have 2 SATA ports on the cheaper ones. I have one with a VIA chipset
>> and it works fine with all flavours of linux I have tried with it.
>> Leave the other drives as they are, put the SATA PCI card in and
>> connect the drive data cable to it.  You will probably need an adaptor
>> cable for the drive power as the newer SATA drives don't use a molex
>> connector but a slimmer edge connector. The adaptor should only be a
>> couple of quid.
>>
> I'd second this.  Although I believe it is possible to get IDE to SATA
> adaptors (to convert the IDE on the motherboard to SATA), I gather they
> only work for one drive per IDE connector on the board, so I'd agree and
> say getting a PCI SATA card would be your best bet.  That way you can
> leave all your IDE drives connected as they are.

All the IDE/SATA converters I've seen only allow one drive per cable.
Besides the PCI SATA controller boards are cheaper.
The one thing that confused me when I installed one is that the PCI card's
drives become SDA and SDB and the Mobo's drives follow from there.  So a
bit of twiddling with FSTAB is required on existing installation.

--
Steve