On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Matt Wheeler <m...@funkyhat.org> wrote:

> 2009/10/21 Peter Adam Kelly <pe...@thatwilldo.com>:
> > Thanks loads for the info,
> >
> > I am brushing up on my knowledge of network security, I have some Ubuntu
> > dedicated and VPS servers and of course I want them as strong as can be,
> any
> > more links or info would be appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers

A couple of other pointers - if running PHP consider using the suhosin patch
- and for other public facing servers test their vulnerability using
Nessus/Nikto etc (I believe this has recently been mentioned in another post
of the list - although it might have been a different list).

You might also want to consider routing syslogs to another box.  That way,
if a machine is compromised, the logs are not at as much risk.

Needless to say, only permit traffic to hosts from the boxes that need
access - not so good for webservers, but if you're running private
webservers it's often possible to only permit access to these from hosts
that you "approve of".

If possible, only permit key based login using SSH as well - this will
completely remove the risk of password based attacks....

Hope this helps