I think you meant "users tend to be logged in as a normal user instead
of root, so it's much harder..."

Otherwise, being logged in as root all the time does give access to
system files, which Linux is good at protecting by not having a user
logged in as root, compared to Windows, where a user is encouraged (at
least in the past, not sure about Windows 7) to be an Administrator so
that they can run all the software, as they do not know how to get some
software running as a non-Adminstrator user (e.g. file defragmentation,
some games).

David King