Just to throw my oar in, I've upgraded 2 boxes to Karmic, one elderly Acer
laptop, and an ancient desktop. Both of which just worked.

As someone said earlier, people are clearly not doing any research on
hardware prior to upgrading, and the bad press is getting outweighed by the
good press.As Popey mentioned.. "balance"..

>From my experience, users will normally only complain about something; they
expect something to work out of the box, so when it does it's not considered
newsworthy...

The large majority of people i've spoken to are loving Karmic...

Ed

2009/11/3 Sean Miller <s...@seanmiller.net>

> Please don't get me wrong: I was merely asking the question, as I
> think that 6 months is a very ambitious timescale to get a completely
> new distribution built.
>
> The LTS vs. regular releases thing is, imho, rather a red herring -
> the implication seems to be that it is okay to market an "unfinished
> release" as long as it isn't LTS, which I could not agree with.  The
> LTS is, unless I'm very much mistaken, supposed to give people
> reassurances that they will not HAVE to upgrade to maintain support,
> not a moniker that says "LTS are the proper stable releases and
> everything else is unstable" - if this is in fact the case then why
> don't we use the terms "stable" and "unstable" rather than "long term
> support" which intuitively has to do with support a year down the line
> rather than the quality of the delivered product.   If I was
> considering a novice user and I was about to install a new desktop I'd
> look at 9.04 and 9.10 and say "right, what's the difference?" and the
> sites etc. would tell me "9.04 is older but will be supported longer"
> so I'd think "well, don't use support anyway and may upgrade before
> then so I'll go for 9.10" - wouldn't most people???
>
> So I do not agree with the idea that non-LTS versions are inherently
> buggy.  For that is not what the acronym says, and if that is what it
> is meant to mean I suggest we get a new acronym.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Ed Morgan

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

http://last.fm/user/mo6020
http://dontfightthefuture.com