Andy Smith wrote:
> [...]
> Will this package need to be installed to maintain support on hardy after
> 2011?

Hello, Andy.

Oops! I install "ubuntu-desktop" + "linux-server", not "ubuntu-server":

There was discussion about an "ubuntu-server" metapackage, but it never
made it into the repositories as an official package...

>> The only real difference is the kernel you run and if you want LAMP.
>>
>> There is a list of the 'server' packages that will still be supported:
>>
>>    http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/dapper/supported.txt
>
> What about for hardy?  How is the above list generated?

No idea: I'm still running 6.06 LTS on some of our servers, and I was
worried about the recent EOL statement for Dapper on the desktop. I now
just install the desktop edition from CDROM, then add what I need:

aptitude install linux-server openssh-server
aptitude install mysql-server apache2 libapache2-mod-php5
aptitude install nfs-kernel-server

Boot the server kernel, and I've got a LAMP + NFS server + GUI.

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK