Dianne Reuby wrote:
> I've got a PC with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 video - I know I've seen
> comments in the past ATI isn't very well supported. Looking at the
> forums and the hardware pages, though it seems some people use them OK,
> and I've read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

I've found some ATI cards work better than others, I have an ATI Radeon
All In Wonder X800 which has a funny turn with Ubuntu when it's attached
to both the PC monitor and our LCD TV.  Although I have found some ATI
cards work great.

It's not just ATI I've had problems with too, I've had real problems
with NVidia cards too.
> But when I try the LiveCD (9.10) all I get is a flashing cursor on a
> black screen, so I can't try enabling the restricted drivers or checking
> the compatibility anyway. Is there a way round this?

When you boot the Live CD, you should be able to choose the option for
Safe Graphics Mode (I think), it's one of the F keys, you should see
something at the bottom of the screen where you can select to try Ubuntu
or run the installation program.
> And is this an "on board" chip, rather than an actual card which can be
> changed? (I get that impression from looking at it, and from reading
> stuff on line.)

Yes, I have a feeling it is.  However it may be possible to fit a
graphics card.  I don't suppose you know the make and model number of
your motherboard do you, or if it's a branded PC (say a Dell, HP etc),
what the make and model number is?

It is possible that your motherboard may have an AGP slot for an
external graphics card, or a PCI Express slot (or two).  As a minimum it
should have a PCI slot (assuming it's a desktop PC and not a laptop).

Rob