On 08/12/2009 13:26, javadayaz wrote:
> thats cool. So far this looks like the best option for me!
>
> So for something totally unrelated, for those of you who have hung
> your tv's on a wall....how do you hide the wires so that nothing is
> visible?

Hmmm, embed the cables in the wall and plaster over them?

I've been looking into this as our TV is on an arm (it was a comprimise
between me and the wife, I wanted it wall mounted, she didn't).  I've
looked into running cables from every socket on the TV (2 x HDMI, 2 x
SCART, Component video) and then embedding them in the wall, then having
them plugged into couplers to connect to the cables for everything that
needs to be plugged in.  That way they're hidden and still usable.

Or on the other hand you could maybe look at running cables in the walls
and have faceplates with short cables from the faceplates to the TV.

Maybe something like two of these...
http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/info_AA3819.html

That way you can run standard HDMI cables embedded in the wall to
another location and have faceplates at each end of the cable.  Then
you'd just need a short HDMI cable from the TV to the faceplate, and
another from the other faceplate to your devices (PC, Bluray etc).

Of course you've also got the cost of getting a plaster in unless you
can do plastering yourself (I'm lucky as my dad is a decorator and can
do it for me :-) ), or other than that, you could look at trunking.

I gather for HDMI cables there are no differences between the cheap
cables and the more expensive cables, at least up to about 15 metre
cable runs.  I certainly have a cheap HDMI cable of about 5 metres and
it does the job, I gather it's a case of because it's digital it'll
either work or it won't.

On the other hand with analogue connections (standard VGA, component
video, composite video, analogue audio, SCART) the cable quality can
make a difference.

If you're just going to connect everything using HDMI (DVD/Bluray
player, PC, Sky/Freesat HD/Freeview HD box) then you may find a couple
of cheap cables would do the job.

Rob