On 09/12/2009 08:32, Joseph Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM, javadayaz <javada...@gmail.com
> <mailto:javada...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     you know specs wise this doesnt look like it will be able to play
>     HD....its a atom processor after all...!!!
>
>     Or am i wrong?
>

> It works if the software supports VDPAU. This is hardware acceleration
> for certain modern nvidia graphic chips, like the nvidia ION. The
> latest betas of XBMC and boxee have this working out of the box.
>
> Joseph

I gather it's also the case with newer builds of MythTV too.

The ION chipset basically does the video decoding leaving the Atom CPU
free for other tasks.

There is an article about this sort of thing here:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_vdpau_gpu&num=1

Although it covers and AMD Sempron CPU and Geforce 8400GS, essentially
the ION chipset is pretty much the same spec as a low end Geforce card,
so although i may not be the fastest card ever for 3D stuff, it is low
power and does pretty good video acceleration.

Rob