I had a very similar problem - fixed it the other day actually! See -
http://www.munkyjunky.com/2010/01/ubuntu-9-10-nvidia-resolution-fix/

Basically, what I did was as follows:

   1. Backup your xorg.conf file, using the following command – *sudo* *cp
   /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup*
   2. Delete the current xorg.conf – *sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
   3. Create a new xorg.conf file – *sudo* *nvidia-xconfig*
   4. Restart X, by logging out, then logging back in. The resolution won’t
   be fixed *yet* though.
   5. Open up the Nvidia-settings – *gksudo nvidia-settings*
   6. Make the changes to set your resolution to its correct settings , hit
   ‘Apply’, and then ‘Save to X configuration file’.

Works perfectly for me, hope it helps you too!

2010/1/26 keith <ke...@grumpyface.me.uk>

> Darren,
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Unfortunately, however, it caused the resolution to revert to 800x600
> permanently whereas the boot sequence had formerly been 1920x1080 initially.
>  I also struggled to get the Nvidia config screen back!
>
> Keith.
>

> ---
> Keith Bowerman,
> Prestwood, south Staffs, England.