Russell Tester wrote:
> Liam, you have a good point there. If this is going to work, IMHO it
> needs to work on the free and open nature of the software itself. A
> concept for making people watch this and not spending a penny is that
> people will need to _want_ to see this video, how can we get it number
> one on youtube? Make it funny.
>
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Liam Wilson <liamwilso...@gmail.com
> <mailto:liamwilso...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If this is actually going to happen, we need to start thinking of
>     ways how we can get this video shown to people, whether it be
>     televised, or viral. If we're going to put our own money or anyone
>     else's money and time into this we need to make sure that it isn't a
>     waste of it, agreed?

I agree,  who are we aiming at for example.

>         >>
>         >>> I don't think shots of IRC or the forum would be that good,
>         there's alot
>         >>> of negative stigma around "Chat rooms" and "Online forums"
>         unfortunately
>         >>> :(
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >> Yes 'Chat Room' = paedophile luring young girls away in the
>         minds of a lot
>         >> of people.

>         >>
>         >> --
>         >>
>         >
>         > Then they need to be educated.
>         >
Yeah,  Next week is safer internet day (TUESDAY 9TH i think) so as part
of that kids are educated on the dangers of chat rooms however that is
ALL we ever hear about we need some +ve stories from people technical or
otherwise as to how chat rooms have had a good effect on them.  So how
do chat rooms help bring together a diverse set of cultures, or how do
chatrooms contribute to the development of OSS projects.

I know that one school has simple advice don't use them,  that to me is
like not letting kids cross the road, at all,  in case they get run
over,  its up to adults to teach kids to use roads safely, just as it is
 their job to teach kids to use the net safely.

>         > But seriously, who are these adverts aimed at? If it's a Generally
>         > Ignorant User/Mum, then forget it. They won't know what an OS
>         is let
>         > alone how to download, burn a CD, install etc. etc. If it's a
>         > teen/young adult then there won't be a problem - they use
>         Facebook/IM

Er you need the backing of parents to allow their kids in to a chat
room,  we need to educate everyone,  what you said here implies that
"mums" are computer illiterate.

I think the idea that one particular group don't know what an operating
system is or the assumption that someone doesn't know could be seen as
rather patronising,  lets treat people as if the

there are young female Linux users out there,  who may well one day
become these mums you are talking about.   What is needed is to ensure
that people understand in P L A I N   E N G L I S H  what an operating
system is.  Something even I find it hard to explain without starting to
use tech speak.

>         > *all the time*.
>         >
>         > Oh, the other problem is the name of Lynx. It already has
>         > product/brand association in the UK. We would have to stay
>         well away
>         > from it. Ubuntu is OK as a brand (though it's mostly unknown), but
>         > 10.04 is weak as water soup. Ten-oh-four? Ten-point-zero-four?
>         What
>         > does that mean? (Even Lucid Lynx sounds as geeky as it comes).
>         >
>         > If anything you have to associate with a known brand - like Linux.
>         > Ubuntu Linux. We are Linux? Who else uses Linux? Is it strong
>         enough?
>         >
>         > "Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I
>         am what
>         > I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution
>         brings the
>         > spirit of Ubuntu to the software world."
>         >
>         > We are Ubuntu?

I think as the code name changes, then perhaps we simple need to get
people to see the word "Ubuntu".   just as people see Windows,  if you
use a Mac you use OSX, which version you use seems not to be important
that much,

>         >
>         > So how about a user of another OS sat struggling with their
>         machine by
>         > themselves, whereas our Ubuntu user looks up and asks the next
>         room
>         > for help and a random profession walks in and helps (points at the
>         > screen and says "Oh, it's just here"), e.g. scientist followed by
>         > artist etc. etc

Paul