> No, a DVD is structured like this usually:
>
> Disk Root
>   - VIDEO_TS
>   - - VIDEO_TS.BUP
>   - - VIDEO_TS.IFO
>   - - VIDEO_TS.VOB
>   - - VTS_01_0.VOB
>   - - VTS_01_1.VOB
>
> etc. You sometimes have other folders inside the root (I think AUDIO_TS
> and another one for subtitles iirc).
>
> Basically these files are transcoded (TS) into different formats so that
> DVD players can read them correctly.
>
> You can't really create these 'by hand', so you'll need to use a program
> in Ubuntu (I use Windows for video editing) that is similar to Adobe
> Encore - some people have suggested DeVeDe - I'll go with the consensus
> and say use that :-)
>
> James

When you drop a mpeg file on to a dvd it is like droping a file onto a
disc.  It's just a file.

Two things you can do:
1. Use DeVeDe as already suggested this sets up the aforementioned dvd
structure so it will play on dvd players.

2. You can try the device already in Ubuntu go to brasero and select
video project.  Drop your video in there and it should create a dvd
player, playable dvd.  You need to add some files in order to do that
though so open brasero and click on help->contents F1 and ensure they
are in place first.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk