Andy:
> 189 MPs voted Yes (Aye), 47 voted No (Noe).

The majority of whom weren't present at the debate. You might very well think
the bill was railroaded through by whatever MPs the whips could round up and
herd into the chamber to vote the party line without even hearing it; I
couldn't possibly comment.

> There are 646 MPs so most of them couldn't even be bothered to vote.

And some 20,000 letters and emails in opposition, according to 38degrees. On
average, that's more than 30 each. Surely there's only so many times you can
send out a form letter full of platitudes before you start to think, maybe
people /don't want/ this thing to pass?

So what can we do now? Donate to the Pirate Party (unfortunately, there is no
pirate candidate in my constituency), donate to the Open Rights Group, email
our candidates, buttonhole them when they come round canvassing ... anything
else?

I was somewhat heartened to see that the front page article in today's Metro
was strongly critical (in so far as a newspaper article can be in these days of
journalistic "balance") both of the bill and the appallingly undemocratic way
it was rammed through Parliament.

jim
--
Jim Cameron
Software Engineer

Buhler Sortex Limited
Research and Development Department
20 Atlantis Avenue
London E16 2BF
Registered in England No. 434274
T +44(0)20 7055 7607
F +44(0)20 7055 7701

Mail to: jim.came...@buhlersortex.com
www.buhlersortex.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential,
may be legally privileged and is designated exclusively
for the intended recipient. Access by any other person is
not authorised. Any disclosure of this e-mail or of names
of persons mentioned therein as well as any storing,
copying, distribution and dissemination is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately
delete this e-mail and notify the sender by phone or by e-mail.