On 09/04/10 17:06, jim.came...@buhlersortex.com wrote:
> Andy:
>> 189 MPs voted Yes (Aye), 47 voted No (Noe).
>
> The majority of whom weren't present at the debate. You might very well think
> the bill was railroaded through by whatever MPs the whips could round up and
> herd into the chamber to vote the party line without even hearing it; I
> couldn't possibly comment.
>
>> There are 646 MPs so most of them couldn't even be bothered to vote.

Sounds like a right shambles.  I contacted my local MP who I see on the
list didn't vote at all, kinda makes me wonder if there is any point in
MP's if they don't listen to the constituents.

> And some 20,000 letters and emails in opposition, according to 38degrees. On
> average, that's more than 30 each. Surely there's only so many times you can
> send out a form letter full of platitudes before you start to think, maybe
> people /don't want/ this thing to pass?

Yep, I dare say any normal person would think... hang on a minute, maybe
they have a point, but these are MP's.

> So what can we do now? Donate to the Pirate Party (unfortunately, there is no
> pirate candidate in my constituency), donate to the Open Rights Group, email
> our candidates, buttonhole them when they come round canvassing ... anything
> else?

I'll certainly look at mentioning it to the candidates in my
constituency, I wonder if it's worth contacting the local press for
instance mentioning that I contacted my local MP but they didn't vote
(either they couldn't be bothered or they had good reason not to vote,
I'd certainly like to know either way).

> I was somewhat heartened to see that the front page article in today's Metro
> was strongly critical (in so far as a newspaper article can be in these days
> of journalistic "balance") both of the bill and the appallingly undemocratic
> way it was rammed through Parliament.

It's a shame that I can't get the Metro newspaper down here, at least I
haven't seen it (last time I saw it was when I was working in Sheffield).

Rob