On 14/04/10 12:39, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm a bit of an audiophile, and have a large collection of music stored
> in WAV format to preserve the sound quality. Clearly it's not possible
> to copy many of these huge files to a portable player, so they need to
> be compressed. After much experimentation I've concluded that OGG and
> WMA are both better formats for sound quality than MP3 at a given bit
> rate. The trouble is that neither of my portable players will play OGG,
> so it has to be WMA.

Actually when I was doing some broadcast training I was shown some
results of some tests of audio quality, WMA came out the worst.  I
believe the best was ATRAC as used on Minidisc (or those Sony Network
Walkmans).

When you were doing tests, what parameters did you use?

Did you use a constant bit rate (say 192kbit/sec) or a variable bit rate
with joint stereo?

Anyway, back to encoding in WMA...

I did a quick Google search and found this...

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t52493.html

It seems the command line is as follows:

ffmpeg -i test.wav -acodec wmav2 -ab 128 test.wma

Can't say if it works though, I tend to use MP3, OGG and FLAC myself.

Rob