My entire family own Windows boxes, and the internal IP is dynamic most of
the time. Now what i didnt realize was that my sister opened DMZ onto her
internal IP at the time so she could get a decent download speed over
torrent.

The next time i turned my Ubuntu box on, it got that IP, and thus all the
traffic got forwarded straight to my laptop, exposing all of my ports
(including 139) I dont turn my box off very often either, it usually stays
on and connected to the internet for quite sometime.

I only realized when somebody contacted me over MSN and told me that they
had managed to access my entire user area, i then checked /var/logs/samba
and found a lot of requests from external IP addresses.