On 23/04/10 11:47, John Matthews wrote:
> Even though we get told most of the time Linux is safe, the more tis
> used, the more viruses will get written for it.

If you think about it, a great deal of the world's business and network
infrastructure runs on Unix and Linux systems. There are fundamental
differences between these platforms and Windows which make writing
viruses hard and make virus proliferation *very* hard to do.

Obviously we can never say never, but to get a virus to propagate on
Unix based systems really requires them to be just badly set up or for
you to be running as root.

For the uber-paranoid, one way to virtually emilinate the risk of virus
propagation is to have 2 accounts on your system and only ever use the
one with non-admin rights to surf and retrieve emails etc. This way,
even if you are tricked into running something that needs sudo, you
won't be able to run it.

I noticed somebody was
> talking about checking ports to see if they are visible to the outside.
> How do you do that? Is there any software, or can it be done via the
> Terminal. Can somebody help?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+port+checker

Top search result.

Al