On 23/04/10 16:58, Markie wrote:
Hi John,

> Now that is interesting. I did all the checks, and came back telling me I am 100% in stealth, but I still failed because they could ping me.

Some routers by default block "WAN pings" some do not. My Sky router has a field called "respond to ping on WAN port" its checked off. I passed the test with all my ports in stealth mode. Basically the check at the link rob passed runs a port scan against the WAN side of your router. This is if your are connected via a router. If you connect directly via a USB modem or a Cable modem then it will scan your PC directly.

> Plus, it was a bit strange because on one of the things it said 'it was unusual to find a windows machine so completely hidden'. But I'm not using windows, > I'm using Ubuntu. That is amazing really considering.

:-) I would say that its making an assumption that your running windows. Lets face it us Linux users are pretty much in a minority at least when it comes to the OS of choice on the desktop / laptop.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

thats done it. Brilliant. I looked for

"respond to ping on WAN port"

in my router settings, found it, it was ticked, I unticked, then ran the test again, and passed everything.

That is brilliant. Thank you. Feel a bit better now.

John

--
Ubuntu User #30817