Dell seemed to stop the distribution of machines preloaded with Ubuntu, around
the time that "Windows 7" was launched. The Inspiron 1525 which I purchaced
with Ubunto loaded then became "unavailable", but has since been relaunched as
a Windows 7 version with a much higher prce tag. In the past, some computer
manufacturers have refunded the operating system cost where acceptance of the
Microsoft agreement was rejected, with no request for the return of the back-up
cd's, might be worth asking. It has now become difficult to find a supplier of
branded computers preloaded with Ubuntu. My Dell 1525 is a "Windows-free zone"
and will stay that way. The volume computer manufacturers are long overdue for
another "wake-up call". Ubuntu will not just fade away !