On 20 May 2010 12:55, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having copied all the files from my external disk drive into onboard
> memory, and checked that they are accessible and function normally, I
> have created a new EXT3 file system on the external disk drive. There is
> now nothing on the external disk drive except an empty 'Lost and Found'
> folder. However, I cannot copy any of my files back to the external disk
> drive, because it says I do not have permissions to write to this
> destination. The properties tab for the external disk drive says
> 'permissions could not be determined.' I cannot imagine what could cause
> this, since everything that was on the drive has been deleted. Does
> anybody know how I can change the permissions?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions

Is probably helpful here. You need a line in your /etc/fstab which
describes the partition on the USB disk, and where you'd like it
mounted.

> I do not know how to log
> in as root on this computer, since Linux Emporium never told me, though
> I could ask them. It would presumably be easier to change the
> permissions using 'sudo', if root privileges are required, wouldn't it?

You pretty much never need to logon as root. You can 'become' root like with:-

sudo -s

Observe:-

a...@bishop:~$ whoami
alan