On Saturday 22 May 2010 13:50:00 Nigel Verity wrote:
> Re: Dianne Reuby's news that Dell say the use of any OS other than Windows
>  will invalidate the hardware guarantee.

I've run Ubuntu on Dell since 5.04. I've called for support 5 times across 5
laptops - once for a bad fan, and 4 times for dark areas of the screen. In all
cases the droid on the phone insists I try various Windows tech support. It
goes something like this:

Dell: Right click on the background and select "Properties".
Me: (Reading Slashdot) OK.
Dell: Now try ...
Me: Nope, that didn't fix it.
(repeat a few times)
Dell: Sir, I'm sending a technician to replace your screen.
Me: Thank you.

Don't mention Linux to them. The one time I did, I was sent to a purgatory of
"You have to reinstall from the recovery CD before we can support you". It's
better to play along with the support game until you get what you want.

Tyler

--
"Any lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect in no uncertain terms
to make no statement to police under any circumstances."