Environmental events are good, foreground stuff like how to refurbish their XP kit and keep perfectly good electronic kit out of landfill . . .

Paula

On 19/07/10 11:53, Alan Pope wrote:
Hey!

We seem to be quite good at turning up to technical events such as LUG
meetings, technical conferences and other self-organised events and
telling everyone how great Ubuntu is. However we seem to spend a lot
of time preaching to the converted, speaking to people who already run
Ubuntu or some other distro, rather than 'converting' people who have
little or no exposure to Ubuntu.

Amber Graner recently wrote about her experience evangelising and
advocating at a local Goat Festival. She was also interviewed about
this on the Full Circle Magazine podcast recently.

http://akgraner.com/?p=471
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2010/07/15/full-circle-podcast-10-trawling-the-internet-for-a-goat-festival/

When I heard about this it made me think that it's something we should
think about. Not specifically Goat festivals, but non-technical
events. I wanted to canvass the group to see what events people might
want to have a presence at. I'm not (at this point) asking for
volunteers, but just ideas of events where people go and we might be
able to have a stand where we could talk to people about Ubuntu and
how they might want to use it.

These could be non-technical business events, they might relate to a
specific sector such as education, or they could be cultural events
like festivals. Anything goes really. I'll start the ball rolling with
a fairly generic example that pretty much anyone here can do:-

Village FĂȘtes - these attract families from all walks of life, and
would be a great opportunity to have a public stand at little or no
cost to run. Other attractions could include simple games (always
popular at FĂȘtes) with prizes perhaps donated by community members,
sponsors or (if willing/possible) Canonical. With summer coming it
would be a great opportunity to get geeks _outside_ in the sunshine
and show off what we have to offer.

What events local to you would you like to see a stand at?

I also posted this on my blog where there may be other suggestions.
http://popey.com/blog/2010/07/19/ubuntu-at-non-technical-events/

Cheers,
Al.