Also takes a lot of fiddling about to set up a custom Debian desktop and I don't have time to make a habit of it. It's a while since I reviewed all the packaged lightweight desktops and there's been a lot of development since then, I'll have a look at Peppermint. There was an Ubuntu-lite version which seems to have died - I also rather liked the Fluxbuntu effort - but that also seems to have died.

It is a bit of a gap with Ubuntu - it'd be great if there was a version as lightweight as Fluxbuntu was and yet useable for web, Abiword etc for non-techies.

Paula

I tried a custom Debian desktop once, for the folks who I gave Xubuntu
to (on the P3 800's) and somehow they managed to break it within a day.  :-)

Next time I do anything on any older hardware I'm going to give
Peppermint Linux a try, it looks to be better matched to old hardware as
it runs LXDE.

Rob