On 19/07/10 11:53, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hey!
>
> We seem to be quite good at turning up to technical events such as LUG
> meetings, technical conferences and other self-organised events and
> telling everyone how great Ubuntu is. However we seem to spend a lot
> of time preaching to the converted, speaking to people who already run
> Ubuntu or some other distro, rather than 'converting' people who have
> little or no exposure to Ubuntu.
>
> Amber Graner recently wrote about her experience evangelising and
> advocating at a local Goat Festival. She was also interviewed about
> this on the Full Circle Magazine podcast recently.
>
> http://akgraner.com/?p=471
> http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2010/07/15/full-circle-podcast-10-trawling-the-internet-for-a-goat-festival/
>
> When I heard about this it made me think that it's something we should
> think about. Not specifically Goat festivals, but non-technical
> events. I wanted to canvass the group to see what events people might
> want to have a presence at. I'm not (at this point) asking for
> volunteers, but just ideas of events where people go and we might be
> able to have a stand where we could talk to people about Ubuntu and
> how they might want to use it.
>
> These could be non-technical business events, they might relate to a
> specific sector such as education, or they could be cultural events
> like festivals. Anything goes really. I'll start the ball rolling with
> a fairly generic example that pretty much anyone here can do:-
>
> Village FĂȘtes - these attract families from all walks of life, and
> would be a great opportunity to have a public stand at little or no
> cost to run. Other attractions could include simple games (always
> popular at FĂȘtes) with prizes perhaps donated by community members,
> sponsors or (if willing/possible) Canonical. With summer coming it
> would be a great opportunity to get geeks _outside_ in the sunshine
> and show off what we have to offer.
>
> What events local to you would you like to see a stand at?

Well a few of us in the Devon & Cornwall LUG try and get to events when
we can, unfortunately our resources are limited (there are at best about
10 of us out of say 200 or so) actively going out to events and this
mainly seems to be in South Devon although I believe a couple of members
in Cornwall have been doing bits and pieces.

Such events I can think of that we've attended are a local community fun
day (kind of like a fete) where in the LUG we had a stall and handed out
free copies of Ubuntu 9.04 (this was last summer) and copies of The
OpenDisc along with flyers about Ubuntu and The OpenDisc, stickers for
the kids (Paul Sutton who is on this list printed a load of Tuxes on
small round Avery labels).

I think in the end all the discs were snapped up along with some flyers,
I believe we managed to get one new member come along to our LUG meetings.

We also had a stall at the Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day back in 2007,
we managed to get a couple of PCs for this and a generator so we were
able to demonstrate Ubuntu (7.04) running on the PCs.  We were trying to
sell copies of Ubuntu (self burnt discs) and The Open Disc to visitors
along with giving out flyers.  We gave away quite a few flyers but
didn't do so well selling the discs (the idea was that the money raised
would be donated to the Hospital Radio funds).  It also didn't help
being a really sunny day with no shade so a lot of the time no one could
see the screens.

Both these events though were non-technical community events.  I think
part of the problem is those of us who went along aren't that confident
talking to strangers (I'm getting more confident).  It's been nearly a
year since we've done anything but with summer coming up I'm hoping that
we might be able to get to a couple of more events such as a Surestart
Childrens Centre event coming up in August.  I'm hoping we might
possibly be able to setup a couple of machines running Tuxpaint and have
a stack of discs to give out and possibly follow it up with an install
day or maybe offer to assist folks if they decide they want to migrate
to Ubuntu or dual boot.

Rob